Preparing to leave for Dale

We are waiting for the wind to drop a little over the next 2 hours

Preparing to leave for Dale

Later this afternoon we hope to be leaving Fishguard, heading for Dale (in the Milford Haven estuary). In the last hour we have still had gusts of 32kts (force 7), the average for the hour is 15kts, but the trend is downward as per the forecast.

Our route includes Ramsey Sound, where the tide races through. So we need to be there between 9:30pm and 2:30am tonight, that way the tide carries us through at up to 6kts.

We still have quite a lot to get ready, the dinghy needs lifting on deck, then I can repack the cockpit locker (need to put the dinghy motor and the generator near the bottom). I still have to adjust the elastic on the halyard constrictors, but I need the dinghy on deck to stand on so I can reach. Then we will hoist the furled yankee and get the staysail hanked on ready to hoist. If the wind has died enough, I would like to get both the main and staysail hoisted while we are at anchor.

The first section, to St David's Head will be the slowest, we have the wind, waves and tide all against us. That's why we are planning to leave so early for what is a relatively short leg. Once we are through Ramsey Sound we are expecting the wind to drop further and also swing so that we might need to put some tacks in so that we can clear Skomer Island. Hoping to arrive at Dale in the early hours of the morning. As it is just one night and there is lots of navigation and sail handling needed our plan is to both stay on watch the whole time. We have a meal prepared for tonight and plenty of snacks 😄

We have made a lot of progress since our last sail. The rigging is much better sorted and I have managed to adjust the throttle response on the electric motor which should make that much easier to control. We have continued to to reduce the clutter in the cabin so there should be less stuff to get thrown about.

This morning I published a video about our preparations for the first sail from Caernarfon to Porth Dinllaen. It is a strong reminder that the weather we experienced on that passage was completely different from the forecast. It is making us cautious about tonight.

See you later.

Dave and Jane